Good Bones, (Solo), ArtBox @ Shirt Corner : Philadelphia Open Studio Tours, Philadelphia, PA *8/10/2018 - 10/14/2018
Selected Works from Art in the Open, The Center for Emerging Visual Artists, Philadelphia, PA
Art in the Open (AiO), 3-day public outdoor event, Schuylkill River Trail, Philadelphia, PA *Learn more
Second State Press: Prints We Made, The University of the Arts Printmaking Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
Inside Out, InLiquid Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
Printmaker Pop-Up Market, Arthur Ross Gallery - University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Oh! You Pretty Things: A Bowie Inspired Art Show, Ruckus Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
Alumni Fob Holder Exhibition, Second State Press, Philadelphia, PA
The Future of Art - Breaking the Mold, WeWork - Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, PA
Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts Residents Exhibition, UNO Art Gallery, Omaha, NE
Proofed, Second State Press, Philadelphia, PA
Quarter Sheet Challenge, Second State Press, Philadelphia, PA
Select Summer Prints, Second State Press, Philadelphia, PA
OVERTURN, (Solo), O.U.R. Gallery, Philadelphia, PA
1st Annual Little Berlin Print Invitational, Philagrafika 2010, Little Berlin, Philadelphia, PA
The End, Little Berlin, Philadelphia, PA
Members Exhibition, Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadelphia, PA (Printmaking Award)
Works on Paper 2009, Philadelphia Sketch Club, Philadelphia, PA (Honorable Mention)
Art Matters Arts Show and Sale, Villanova Conference Center, Radnor, PA
An Exhibition of Contemporary & Traditional Works, Historic Strawberry Mansion, Philadelphia, PA
Black is the Color, The Plastic Club, Philadelphia, PA
5 into 1, Moore College of Art, Philadelphia, PA
Negotiating Tradition, MFA Thesis Exhibition, PAFA, Philadelphia, PA
The Art of the Flower, Philadelphia Sketch Club, Philadelphia, PA (First Prize)
Art Endures: an exhibition of regional artists exploring end of life issues, Lakenau Hospital, Wynnewood, PA
Living with Art, Maine Line Art Center, Haverford, PA
B.F.A. Exhibition, Rosefsky Art Gallery, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY
Tacony LAB Community Arts Center / Mural Arts, Philadelphia, PA
Artist in Residence, September - December 2018
- Over the course of this 12-week residency I will implement a series of workshops to teach kite making to community members, while creating my own experimental kite forms. I aspire to help community members appreciate the architecture and people that surround them, and to encourage meaningful introspection through the creative process of painting, printing and assembling kites.
Kimmel Harding Nelson Center for the Arts, Nebraska City, NE
Artist in Residence, September - October 2009
- Designed an accordion-fold book entitled Kite Curiosities, and printed a small edition on a letterpress
- Instructed a small group of adults in woodcut and hand printing
- Designed and flew a functional kite that serves as a preliminary model for future work
AWARDS / GRANTS:
Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
Studio Assistantship, August 2015
Provided technical and administrative support to Master Printer, Keiji Shinohara, and students for a Japanese Woodblock Printmaking workshop
Haystack Mountain School of Crafts, Deer Isle, ME
Technical Assistant Grant, August - September 2010
Provided technical and administrative support to artist, Sas Colby, and students for a book arts workshop: The Transparent Book, Layering and Overlays
Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
Abby Watkins Bernon Work-Study Scholarship, July 2010
Awarded full grant to attend Fearless Ink drawing workshop, instructed by Bill Logan
Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
Studio Assistantship, August 2009
Provided technical and administrative support to Master Printer, Andrew Rubin, and students for a printmaking workshop entitled Color Intaglio: Alternative Prints
BuildaBridge Annual Institute for Arts and Transformation, Bryn Mawr College, PA
Full Scholarship Recipient - Track 1 Courses, 2009
New York State Art Teachers Association (NYSATA) Scholarship Recipient, 2000
Orchestra 2001, Philadelphia, PA
Administrative and Patron Services Associate (March 2016 - present)
I manage the office operations and serve as the main point of contact for this nonprofit ensemble that performs new music for regional and international audiences.
- Carried out a data migration from FileMaker to PatronManager CRM database from start to finish.
- Incorporated the Salesforce ticketing, donation, and mailing list platforms within the website.
- Integrated MailChimp with the PatronManager Database to replace the pre-existing email service.
- Compiled the proof-of-payment submission to satisfy the reporting requirements for The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage grant, in support of April 2018 concerts celebrating Frank Zappa's The Yellow Shark.
- Works with Executive Director to manage financial operations of the administrative office in QuickBooks
- Administers payroll and health benefits
- Manages online pre-sales and in-person box office sales
- Recruits/directs volunteers for ticketed and free performances
- Creates and implements marketing campaigns using MailChimp and Social media
Voice Messages Indiegogo Campaign, Philadelphia, PA
Commission for Indiegogo perk (July 2016)
- I designed and screen printed a limited-edition poster for Martin Zied (Producer/Director/Writer) as a perk for the Indiegogo fundraising campaign for the Voice Messages film. In support of their outreach I wrote an engaging blog post: http://voicemessagesdocumentary.com/blog/2016/7/12/creating-the-art-of-the-voice-artist-alice-thompson
Second State Press (SSP), Philadelphia, PA
Printmaking Instructor (January 2016 & May 2016)
- “Under pressure: Pressure Prints for Letterpress” provided adult students with a complete overview of pressure printing using the Vandercook No. 2 proof press. I displayed example artworks and included information about mixing inks, preparing matrices, and printing an edition.
- “Screen Print Kites” (part of PECO Second Saturday) provided children ages 5 and up the opportunity to layer colorful, translucent patterns on their kite sail at screen printing stations, and then assemble a small, functional kite.
Fob Fellow (January 2016 - May 2016)
- Awarded Fob Fellowship in Spring 2016
- Served as main point of contact for all Fob Holders and assisted with administrative functions.
- Spearheaded SSP participation in a local craft sale to provide a sales opportunity to Fob Holders
Fob Holder (May 2015 - December 2015)
- Sold memberships, monitored/recorded studio activity, and maintained equipment
- Enhanced the performance of the No. 2 proof press by creating a base for pressure printing
- Lyons and Tigers: Patchworks, The Iron Factory, Philadelphia, PA
Lyons and Tigers: Patchworks, The Iron Factory, Philadelphia, PA
Set design (May 2016)
- "HOME" centers around the performer’s personal experiences with home through memories, feelings, and transformation of the fabric house on stage. Choreographed by Darcy Lyons in collaboration with Katie Bank. Performed by Katie Bank. Visual art/set design by Alice Thompson.
Learn more: http://www.lyonsandtigers.org/patchworks-may-2016/
Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA
Temporary Visitor Services Assistant (June 2015 - January 2016)
- Provided empathetic and responsive service to all Museum audiences to enrich their experience.
- Guided museum guests and conducted membership and ticket sales in a friendly manner.
- Supported special events staff during public and private functions at the museum.
Philadelphia Arts in Education Partnership (PAEP), Philadelphia, PA
Visual Art Instructor, Thurgood Marshall School (July 2009)
- Prepared and directed activities appropriate for K-2 children, including collaborative drawings, rubbings of leaves and fabrics, and gyotaku (Japanese fish printing)
BuildaBridge, Philadelphia PA
Assistant Teacher (December - May 2009)
- Art Therapy class serving at risk youth ages 8 -12 at Northwest Philadelphia Interfaith Hospitality Network (NPIHN) located in Mt. Airy
- Creative Movement Class serving at risk youth ages 8 -12, located at Jane Addams Place in West Philadelphia
Ursinus College, Collegeville, PA
Visiting Lecturer – Printmaking (Spring 2005)
- Demonstrated woodcut relief, monotype, and intaglio printmaking processes to twenty college students in two three hour sessions. I presented historical examples and my own work in a slide presentation.
2006 M.F.A., printmaking and drawing, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (PAFA), Philadelphia, PA
2004 B.F.A., printmaking concentration, music minor, Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY
*Magna Cum Laude, Highest Honors in Fine Art
2016 Intro to Entrepreneurship (Basic), The Corzo Center, University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA
2015 Letterpress Books: Guts to Glory, instructed by Lauren Faulkenberry, Penland School of Crafts, NC
2014 Screen Printing, instructed by Jay Ryan of The Bird Machine, Penland School of Crafts, NC
2012 Letterpress & photopolymer printmaking, instructed by Chandler O'Leary and Jessica Spring, Penland School of Crafts, NC
2009 Etching II, Fleisher Art Memorial, Philadelphia, PA